Search This Blog

Saturday, November 5, 2011

New Treatment for Genital Warts


Dangerous? No...Unpleasant?  Yes!
External genital warts are common, but since they sometimes have no symptoms, people may not even notice them.  When someone IS symptomatic, they get just a little freaked out when their health care provider tells them "it's genital warts."  The nomenclature just sounds bad...but really, this is another skin manifestation of certain strains of the human papilloma virus (HPV) that is passed from one person to another by direct contact. 

Usually, the skin at the point of entry of the virus has had some trauma that opens the door for the virus to invade into the skin layers.  The viral particles can then set up shop with their DNA and replicate, replicate, replicate.  After a while, the host's immune system will overpower the virus and kick it out.  The process of becoming infected and realizing that there are warts can take weeks to months or even years if the virus is dormant for a time.  The process of immune elimination is at least 6 months.  Certain factors make people more susceptible to this viral invasion including having a history of herpes simplex virus, HIV, immune suppression from medications or chronic disease and the like.  Pregnancy is included in the relative immunosuppression category of people, so pregnant women can frequently see a dramatic increase in wart size.

The HPV vaccine Gardasil offers immunity to the two most commonly associated subtypes of HPV (type 6 and 11) such that exposure from an infected partner will not result in transmission of the virus.  This will help those young women who have been vaccinated (ages 9-26), but for older women, the warts are a source of embarrassment - they don't even want to talk to their gynecologist about it.  But there are several excellent treatments available to shorten the number of weeks of symptomatic warts.

The older tried and true therapies included chemical acid agents to literally burn the warts.  Also, super-freezing the lesions is effective (cryotherapy).  But those involve multiple office visits for treatment.  Most women prefer to self-treat in the privacy of their home.  Home therapy with application of an immune system stimulating cream known as Aldara is effective, and now there is a botanical cream that has emerged on the market.

The new agent goes by the trade name of Veregen, and the proprietary ingredient is green tea.  Yes, that's right, yet another use for green tea to improve health.  I was as surprised as anyone to see that this product has not only gained FDA approval for use against genital warts, but it also has the support of the CDC.  The sinecatechins topical 15% cream is applied three times a day to the affected skin lesions for up to 16 weeks (the usual duration is 12 weeks).  Regression of the warts is progressive over that time.  Like most things, there is always the potential for a side reaction, and in the case of Veregen, skin irritation, redness, swelling and ulceration have been seen.  Nevertheless, this new therapy offers a "natural" solution to HPV-induced warts.

4 comments:

  1. The stuff written in the blogs have allured me!!!
    is genital warts curable

    ReplyDelete
  2. You may not know me, but we have a lot more in common than you think. You see, four years ago ... my life was just like yours. I was hit with the worst explosion of genital warts in history (at least it felt that way). Initially, I had no idea what I was up against or how bad it was about to shatter my life. But I had my suspicions. I searched the internet endlessly ... comparing my raised, bumpy masses to every genital wart picture I could find. And though it clearly resembled a minor case of warts ... I refused to admit it. Instead, I did everything I could to convince myself I simply had 'skin tags' or 'ingrown hairs.' I figured they would go away in just a few days ... and my life would be back to normal again. The only problem is they didn't go away. In fact, they began to multiply and spread! I remember thinking, "There is no way I can have genital warts. I thought my dating life is finished now and I can’t date anymore, and I started to research again and I found Genital Warts Dating a site where you can find singles with genital warts. Now I have been dating since 6 months and happy to find my gf.

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice write up! I suffered from HIV, I was almost down with AIDS, I sought help from DR Jose Alessio, with his drugs, prayers and instructions I was treated and now i am free!pray to God and follow the instructions of Dr Jose, he has the perfect solutions for the following ailments,HSV, HERPES, GENITAL WARTS, HIV 1 snd 2, STAPHYLOCOCCUS, HPV, CHLAMYDIA, GONORRHEA, TRICHOMONIASIS, HEPATITIS, CHANCROID, SCHIZOPHRENIA, LYMPHOGRANULOM VENERUM OR LGV, MOLLUSCUM AND CONTAGIOSUM.He is such a genius dealing with brain and mind issues, you can write to him on joseherbals28@gmail.com He will surely be able to help you

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was diagnose with human papillomavirus 4 years ago and i met a doctor he told me there is no cure and i have be taking some medication the warts multiplied when trying to removed them it got me embarrassed and pains, luckily few weeks ago i was recommend to Dr Abu for a natural treatment after one week treatment i got 100% cure and the warts disappeared, i sheared this post because its part of my life experience, anyone need speedy help about this cure email him via. drabumerecurecentre@gmail.com or whatsapp call +2349075383142

    ReplyDelete